This is one of the most common indexing issue that will be faced by most of the people, especially beginners. Usually our tags and categories pages are seen as a directory from a search engine’s point of view. Google indexes these directories (catogories and tags) from your blog if you do not add a noindex tag. As soon as you add noindex tag, Google re-crawls your site and deindex respective parts of your blog. Here I will walk you through ‘How to remove wordpress tags and categories from google index’
Look at the following picture. I did a search on google by entering “ikeyiqie” in search box which is my site name. It has displayed the following 4 links in the search results
2. ikeyiqie.com/category/how-to/ (This is a category URL which I like to remove from search engine)
4. ikeyiqie.com/tag/video-to-gif/ (This is a category URL which I like to remove from search engine)
In this case of , I have not blocked the tags and categories pages using Robots.txt, but before adding noindex tags, Google has already indexed those pages. Here is the quick solution whoever facing similar problem.
First, identify the pages that are been indexed to good by using search operator ‘site’ into google. site:ikeyiqie.com
- Login to your Google Webmaster Tool
- Go to Site Dashboard > Google Index > Remove URL’s > Temporarily hide > Enter your URL > Continue
So we need to add https://ikeyiqie.com/category/ and https://ikeyiqie.com/tag/
- Choose your ‘Request type’ as “Temporarily hide directory” > Submit Request
Your request for non indexing categories and tags are submitted to Google.
Third, Within 24-48 hours, all of your categories and tag pages will be out of Google’s index.